Under general supervision, perform master journey-level work in the installation, maintenance,
inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and fixtures for water,
gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention, and refrigeration-related plumbing systems; act as lead
worker to other classified staff in the area; and perform work as required. Incumbents maintain,
troubleshoot and test plumbing systems; assemble, install and repair pumps, pipes, fittings and fixtures;
cut, thread and weld gas pipes; assemble and install valves, pipe fittings and pipes; inspect completed
work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and
safety codes and regulations; inspect related work performed by contractors; estimate cost, time and
materials for plumbing projects; participate in the maintenance and operations of engineering shop;
clean, maintain and service tools and equipment used in the performance of duties.
Job Expectations :
1. Maintains, repairs and installs plumbing and related fixtures and components.
2. Repairs piping of various size and type.
3. Checks safety equipment and replaces components such as washers, gaskets and filters.
4. Inspects, repairs or replaces pumps, valves and boiler systems.
5. Monitors work done by outside contractors for adherence to Plumbing Code Requirements and
reports back to supervisor.
6. Install supports and hangers for pipe, fixtures and equipment.
7. Assemble and install valves and fittings.
8. Install, repair and maintain water treatment equipment, piping and controls.
9. Install, repair and maintain water heaters and conditioners.
10. Install, repair and maintain plumbing fixtures, appliances and trim.
11. Test pipe systems and fixtures for leaks.
12. Ensure all installations, repairs and maintenance meet the requirements of the appropriate codes.
13. Ensure all installations, repairs and maintenance meet environmental protection requirements.