BBMP Property Tax Payment – An Ultimate Guide to BBMP Online Property Tax Payment
March 6th, 2023
Paying property tax in Bengaluru has never been easier. Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) – the Municipal Corporation of Bangalore – has made it simpler for citizens to pay their property taxes with the help of technology. BBMP’s portal allows citizens to make online payments conveniently from the comfort of their homes. It is a safe and hassle-free process that can be done using any device with internet access. In this blog, we cover every aspect of paying the BBMP property tax.
Table of Contents
What is BBMP?
BBMP is an administrative body that governs the city of Bengaluru, Karnataka. It handles urban planning and development, civic infrastructure, public health, sanitation, and other services. Taxes collected by the BBMP’s Revenue Department include those for property, water, sanitation, professional, and advertisements.
Property tax is calculated based on the property’s location, type, built-up area, and usage. Water and sanitation taxes are based on the use of those services. While advertisement tax is based on the number of hoardings and the overall size of the ads, professional tax is collected from all working professionals and is calculated based on their salaries.
What is BBMP Property Tax?
It is a tax imposed by the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike on all properties in the city of Bengaluru & its suburbs. BBMP Property Tax is calculated based on the area and type of the property. It is collected annually, and is the major source of income for the BBMP. Besides road maintenance, garbage collection, street lighting, and water supply, the tax funds civic works.
BBMP Property Tax Payment
BBMP property tax must be paid annually or biannually, depending on the payment plan that has been selected. The due dates vary, depending on the payment plan. The tax period begins in April and ends in March of the following year.
How To Pay BBMP Property Tax Online?
There are two ways to pay the BBMP Property Tax: offline and online. Here are the steps to follow if you want to pay the tax online:
- Visit the BBMP Property Tax website: https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in
- Here, you must enter the SAS Application Number and PID, and click on the ‘Retrieve’ button. This step will produce the property owner’s information.
- Check the details and click the ‘Proceed’ button, if everything is correct. This will redirect you to Form 4.
- If there are changes in the information, then tick the box on the screen and select the ‘Continue’ button before heading to Form 5.
- Ensure all details are accurate and then proceed to make the payment, either in full or in instalments. BBMP offers a 5% rebate on property tax paid in full before the stipulated due date.
- You can pay using a challan or online payment methods. For the latter, you will be redirected to a page where you need to fill in your credit / debit card information or netbanking information to complete the payment.
- Do note that if you miss the deadline, BBMP will charge you an interest of 2% per month / 24% per annum. However, if you select two instalments, then you may pay them without interest / rebate.
How to Pay BBMP Property Tax Offline?
- Head to a Bangalore One centre or the Assistant Revenue Office, and ask for the applicable property tax form.
- Fill out the details and submit them to the same office, or to any other bank that has permission to provide the services.
- The tax can then either be paid via card or demand draft.
How to Track the Status of Your Property Tax Payment?
- Visit the BBMP Property Tax website
- Log in to your account
- Select the “Property Tax Payment” option from the menu
- Enter your property tax ID and the payment amount
- Select the “Pay” button
- You will be directed to a page which will show the status of your payment
- You will also receive a confirmation email with the payment details and status of your payment
Property Considerable for BBMP Property Tax
BBMP property taxes are based on the market value of the property, but they vary from city to city. The property’s taxable value is usually determined by the BBMP’s property tax assessment office. The tax rate set by the BBMP is usually a percentage of the taxable value. BBMP collects property taxes from residential, commercial, industrial, vacant, godowns, and agricultural properties.
BBMP PID Number
The BBMP provides a Property Identification Number – a unique number allocated to each property. You need to have this number while paying the property tax.
How to Get the PID Number?
- Step 1: Go to BBMP’s official website: https://bbmp.gov.in.
- Step 2: At the bottom right of the page you will see ‘OTHER LINK’, under which you will have to click on GEPTIS.
- Step 3: Sign in with your login credentials. If you haven’t registered already, you can do so using your mobile number. After registration, the page will map the property on Google maps.
- Step 4: When you place your mouse over the property location on the map, you will see the property details along with the PID Number.
- Step 5: This PID Number is useful for looking up property data, paying property tax, etc.
How to Calculate BBMP Property Tax?
The BBMP calculates property tax in 2 different methods. The civic body’s website also offers a property tax calculator that will help citizens calculate how much they are supposed to pay up.
- Annual Rental Value System: The civic body decides the gross yearly rent for a particular property and the tax is levied based on its anticipated value.
- Capital Value System: The market value of a property determines the applicable property tax. The stamp duty department of the region decides the market value of properties.
- Unit Area System: The property’s per unit price of carpet area is multiplied by the carpet area to calculate the applicable tax. BBMP predominantly uses this system in Bengaluru.
Once you understand how BBMP property tax works, you can start calculating how much you owe. The best way to do this is to use the online calculator provided by BBMP. This calculator will take into account the size and value of your property, as well as any improvements you have made. It will then provide you with an estimate of how much property tax you owe.
Property tax is calculated using the formula:
Property tax (K) = (G-I)*20% + Cess (24% of property tax)
G is the gross unit area value arrived by adding X, Y, and Z
I is G*H/100
H is the percentage of the depreciation rate which depends on the age of the property
X is the tenanted area of property * per square feet rate of property * 10 months
Y is the self-occupied area * per square feet rate of property * 10 months
Z is the vehicle parking area * per square feet rate of vehicle parking area * 10 months
BBMP Property Tax Forms
There are six forms to choose from, to pay the BBMP property tax. These are:
- Form 1: This comprises key details about the property, such as the street address, ward, and the plot of land it is located on. This form is used when the property owner has the PID Number.
- Form 2: This is used when the owner has a khata number instead of the PID Number. The khata number can be found on the khata certificate that’s issued for every property. The certificate has all relevant information about the particular property.
- Form 3: Used when the owner has neither the khata number nor the PID number.
- Form 4: A white form that is used when there are no changes to make to the property details.
- Form 5: This blue form is used when there are changes made to the property. For instance, if the owner has constructed an additional floor, or if there are demolitions done, or if the type has been changed from non-residential to residential, then these changes will be documented using Form 5.
- Form 6: This form must be used when the property in question is exempt from tax.
What is the Property Tax Rate in Bengaluru?
|Zone||Tenanted (Per sq. ft.)||Self-occupied (Per sq. ft.)|
How to Get BBMP Property Tax Receipt?
By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to download the BBMP tax receipt:
- Visit the BBMP property tax portal: https://bbmptax.karnataka.gov.in.
- Find the ‘Downloads’ tab and click on it. You will get a drop-down box in which there’s an option to select the ‘Receipt print’ button.
- Select the period, enter the application number, captcha code, and finally click on ‘Submit’.
- Your property tax receipt will be downloaded in PDF format.
- You can take a printout or save it safely.
Paying your BBMP property tax is an important part of being a responsible property owner. Not only does it help fund essential services in your area, but it can also help protect your property’s value. By understanding the rules properly, calculating your tax correctly, creating a robust payment plan, and making payment on time, you can ensure that you are up to date with your property tax payments.